7 Rooms That Fall for Orange
Orange can work in any room throughout your home, and these 7 spaces offer some autumn inspiration
Along with brilliant fall leaves, autumn typically means cooler weather — and the opportunity to embrace warm colors for an inviting, cozy feeling at home. Whether you’re looking to add color to a room permanently or just for the season, autumn orange just may be the right hue for you. Here are seven rooms that benefit from this lovely color. Which one is your favorite?
1. Adorned with orange. This Los Angeles living space features a cool foundation of light neutral grays and aqua blues, so the addition of warmth — via orange pillows, ottoman and drapes — creates a cozier autumn vibe. Most of the decorative elements are easy to move around or remove if you want your orange decor to be more seasonal, though the drapes are more likely to be a permanent investment.
2. Sizzling hot kitchen. If painting all your kitchen cabinetry orange sounds like too much commitment — or perhaps a dizzying quantity of orange — why not paint just one piece? In this kitchen, delightful warm orange adds a bit of an autumn feel without being overpowering.
Here’s a closer look at that bright cabinet. A kitchen is great spot for warm colors like orange, which are known to increase the appetite, according to Lee Eiseman of the Pantone Color Institute. What better place to create this effect than in the kitchen?
3. Artful combination. In this Boston home office, bright orange in the dramatic painting — in both the necktie and the bold yellow-orange swath across the bottom — provides inspiration for additional orange in the room. Note the throw placed on the back of the desk chair, the boxes topping the desk and the bits of orange decor on the white cabinets with the lamps.
Find desk chairs
Find desk chairs
4. Singing the blues. This Atlanta kid’s room demonstrates how to add a touch of bold color to make a statement without overwhelming the space. The room is primarily decked out in blues and grays, with the narrow slice of wall between the white shelves painted orange. The orange chair and toss pillow on the bed echo this bold orange hue. And if the bedroom’s occupant gets tired of orange, it’s easy enough to paint that part of the wall a new color.
5. Cabin fever. This Colorado bedroom oozes pumpkin orange everywhere, from the rich wall color to the cheery bedding and headboard. Though painting a wall tends to be a more long-term solution — after all, most people don’t paint their walls a new color every season — the bed linens are more temporary. By adding a slipcover to a headboard and swapping out a duvet or pillow covers, you can easily adapt your color palette to fit the changing seasons.
6. Midcentury modern. The wallpaper in this Houston bedroom makes a fabulous statement and sets the tone for a fun space. Orange hues repeat on the chair, pillow, area rug and pillow sham monogram.
7. A fish out of water. Powder rooms can be a wonderful place to inject an unexpected element for guests to enjoy, and this whimsical ocean-inspired wallpaper is a gorgeous example. The orange elements on the vanity help draw attention to the orange-hued fish, which are boldly contrasted against a black background.
Adapted from Houzz
Karen Mills October 15, 2017
Houzz Contributor, award winning designer and media personality featured in USA Today, ABC News, and Elle Decor. Specializing in remodels, custom design, and design builds worldwide. To sign up for award winning design blog, click http://karenmills.net/blog.